Despite their enormous operating budgets, school boards rarely receive the attention and oversight they deserve. Perhaps the public is disheartened by the realization that school boards operate under behemoth state bureaucracies that leave little room for local input and control.
But in the next few years our schools will have a good shot at making serious improvements that affect the classroom. While they will continue to be challenged with budget cuts, there will be new opportunities to renegotiate bad union agreements and eliminate wasteful programs in favor of putting resources directly into the classroom.
Let’s hope voters decide to make some changes. Here are the starting lineups:
Fullerton School District – vote for 3
Board members Minard Duncan and Ellen Ballard decided not to run, which means there are three available seats and only one incumbent in the race. The candidates are:
- Beverly Berryman, Incumbent
- Janny Catlin Meyer, Retired Teacher
- Aaruni Thakur, Children’s Court Attorney
- Chris Thompson, Fullerton Businessman/Parent
Fullerton Joint Union High School District – vote for 3
All three incumbents are running for reelection. The candidates are:
- Marilyn Buchi, Governing Board Member, Fullerton Joint Union High School District
- Vicki R. Calhoun, Educator/Scholarship Administrator
- Robert N. “Bob” Hathaway, Governing Board Member, Fullerton Joint Union High School District
- Nadia Sanchez, Student/Care Provider
- Robert A. “Bob” Singer, Governing Board Member, Fullerton Joint Union High School District